My Photo
Name:
Location: Mesa, Arizona, United States

Just an ASU student venting the frivelous stuff on Blogger.

Wednesday, November 03, 2004

Four More Years... of being misrepresented.

Yesterday millions of voters cast a blind ballot. Choosing to ignore the corruption, arrogance, hypocrisy, and recklessness so proudly displayed over the past four years, America has chosen Bush. America has chosen to look the other way. Instead of addressing the real problems at hand the majority of our population would rather subscribe to the oversimplified absolutism of president Bush's reasoning: Do terrorists hate us because of our freedom? Are we really winning the war on terror? Will society implode if we allow gay people to have civil unions? Is the UN made up of vile creatures who have no other motive but to unite themselves in opposition to the United States?

We made a mistake four years ago. That election was not as clear cut; nobody really liked either candidate. But now, we have seen a president who has made mistake again and again. He has isolated us in the world. He has segregated us from our allies. I know it sounds repetitive but it's true. Why would we vote for a guy who openly tramples over the world. Who goes to war on a whim. Does that represent America? Is it our way or the highway? Do we have the right to jump to conclusions and invade countries just because we think they might be plotting against us? What about the countries that actually are? Do we believe we are god's gift to the world? Can we just go where ever we please and tell alien societies to adopt our way of thinking, our way of reasoning, our way of life?

We have chosen to take four more years down the road that all other fallen empires have taken. A path of arrogance, ignorance, and greed. We will do whatever we want, go wherever we want, and take whatever we want. But eventually we will fall apart from within just like all of the other great nations. A true superpower needs to work with the world to make change. We can't demand, threat, or force the world to become a safe place. We need to work alongside other nations and lead them. Instead, we choose not to support the ICC. We have turned our backs to the UN. We have avoided countless meetings with other free countries about conserving the environment. Quite frankly we just don't care.

I would say that this attitude only represents a minority of our citizens, but it does not. What has happened to this country? Slightly over half of us support such a harmful administration. The cost of their decision affects us all. I never agreed 100% with Kerry or Bush but one critical difference between the two of them was their stance on foreign policy. Our foreign policy represents our country. I no longer feel our country represents people like myself or my peers. I don't believe we are better than the rest of the world. I don't believe today's America represents me or vice versa.

3 Comments:

Blogger Nalin said...

That is an excellent summary of my feelings for the past 24 hours. America gave in to terrorism yesterday by giving in to terror; the people bowed to the fear created by the ruler. Despite the best efforts of a rational minority, spiritual emotions and testosterone will dictate the course of this nation, and thus the world, for the next four years.

Nalin.
www.public.asu.edu/~nratnaya

November 3, 2004 at 6:07 PM  
Blogger Ynnus said...

Jim Jeffers, you are my personal hero. I really do agree with you in every way about this issue. I know that sounds a little generic of me to say but it is true. I told you this already but for the sake of your reader(s), two uncle called me last night, one from India and one from Sweden, both of them made fun of me for living in the US and both told me how everyone they know in their countries is looking at the US as a bunch of idiots. And in their right they are telling the truth, we have to be idiots to elect this man for four more years. He has single handled told both the US and the rest of the world to fuck off in his own way. This man is an idiot, and we are idiots for letting him stay.

November 3, 2004 at 8:54 PM  
Blogger Eric Marsh said...

I always forget that you are Swedish Sunny. I should have known with the blue eyes and blonde hair.

Anyways, I agree 100% with what Jim has said. In fact, I got a little angrier in my post. I am not really that surprised but I am embarassed by our country. Either most of this country has all of the wrong motives or they are all ignorant. I think its a little more of the ignorance. Bush has wanted this country to be full of ignorance and arrogance. His propoganda prevailed.

November 9, 2004 at 10:24 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home